Thursday, March 02, 2006

Lost $50 in a test drive deal

Actually I should say I didn't earn $50 in a test drive deal instead of losing it. Here is the story. I got a $50 certificate for a test drive in one of the Ford dealers along with the renewal notice of car registration sent from DMV. The deadline was Feb 28th,2006. I've had more than one month to close that deal. Usually I am not a last-minute person. I was trying to recall what I have been doing over the previous several weekends. A big snow storm, parties, other errands... Somehow I got an impression, for those kind of test drive bonus, I just need to tell the dealer that I am not interested in buying a car, all I want is the $50, and the dealer will stamp for me without test drive. However, when I went to a dealer at the last minute, one of the salesmen insist that I must make a test drive. I didn't have enough time to do that and had to give up that deal.

This experience tells me that "never take what I heard as granted. What worked for others may not work for me (get bonus without test drive)". Don't leave anything until the last minutes. That way I won't have time to correct my mistake.

2 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Scott said...

Don't feel too bad, you could have what happened to me. I went for one of these test drives. I took the drive and was told there were no "stamps" available. But they would call me when they came in. Two calls over the next two months and both times there were no stamps, and no call from them either. Obviously they weren't going to give me the "precious" stamp.

I marked this down as a learning experience, and I will never (repeat never) consider doing buisness with that dealership.

BTW I tried to contact the maufacturer (toyota) via their website and tell them what had happened. There was no response from their official customer feedback address. Oh well, at least I didn't take off work to do that.

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

I think my story is worse! I am a lady who has owned an F-150 4 X 4, a Ford Ranger, an F-150 Supercab, two Ford Crown Victorias, and my latest purchase, a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. All were purchased new at the dealers. When I got my offer to take a test drive in a Crown Victoria for a $50 gift, I went on January 25, 2006, and gave the 2005 and 2006 Crown Vics a good going over. The salesman marked my postcard properly, and I followed the directions, copied the card, and promptly mailed it to the appropriate address. The last day to take a test drive was March 31, 2006, for this offer code 05-30960. The card said to allow ten to twelve weeks for delivery. I just called the listed number (1-877-605-5282)(May 13, 2006.) I have given Ford over twelve weeks to get the rebate to me. Empolyee number 0087, "Ivan" told me, that offer is closed, and we don't have your phone number or any info on you. It is closed, so you won't get anything. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He put Richard, Employee Number G-0253, on the phone, who also told me the offer is closed! What I don't get is how can there be no one to contact if I could have taken the test drive up through March 31, and they were requiring up to twelve weeks to process the requests! I should be able to contact someone about this through the end of June! They were so rude! I'll contact Ford Motors Dealer and Headquarters,and Better Business Bureau, and Florida and Texas Department of Business and Professional Regulation, etc., if I don't get my rebate. I am angry.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home